Thursday, October 17, 2013

Colorants

What do I use to color my soaps?

Well, there are many options available to soapers.   Clays, Micas, Oxides, Ultramarines, Herbs, Titanium Dioxide, Dyes.  

What are they?   Micas, Oxides, & Ultramarines are all Minerals found in the Earth.  However, they are not safe to use in their pure form.  They are processed in a lab, and can even be created in a lab.  Some contain dyes, some do not.  Bottom line is most are synthetic since they are most likely created in a lab.  

Titanium Dioxide - I recently did a post on this colorant Here.  But this is also a mineral found in the earth.  You simply cannot have white without it.  Unlike Micas, Oxides & Ultramarines, it is not lab created.  It is processed to remove impurities to make it useable, much like salt.

Clays & Herbs are natural colorants that can also be used in soap making, and are a wonderful addition to soap.  I use clays in all of my silk soap.    

Last, but not least are Dyes.  Dyes are FD&C dyes, and are chemicals.  I do not use any colorants that contain dyes at all.  I make soap to avoid chemicals, so using these colors defeats my purpose!

Some may have concerns about the use of synthetic colorants.  Well, keep in mind that Fragrance oil is synthetic too.  This is why I choose to offer 2 options.  I have my Silk line which uses color and fragrance oil, and my Natural line which uses natural color if at all, and natural essential oils.  

I personally use both soaps in my home for myself and my children.  But you must make the decision that is right for you!  We have loads of fun with colors and fragrances.  But I can tell you in my shower you will find both natural and silk soaps!  

One more thing to note - your eyeshadow, lipstick, nail polish?  All contain Micas, Ultramarines, Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, and can even contain Dyes!  

No comments:

Post a Comment